Welcome to Hahns Peak Historical Area

Mark your calendar! For 2019, the Hahns Peak Area Historical Society’s Ice Cream Social and Arts & Crafts Fair
will be held on Saturday, July 6th.

VolunteerEvents

Welcome to Hahns Peak Area Historical Society

The Hahns Peak Area Historical Society is responsible for the preservation and management of the Hahns Peak Schoolhouse, the Wither Cabin, and the Hahns Peak Museum and Pole Barn. Once a thriving gold mining camp, Hahns Peak is the oldest permanent settlement in northwest Colorado’s Routt County and served as the county seat from 1877 to 1912.

The Hahns Peak schoolhouse was built in 1911 and is listed on the National Register and the Routt County Historic Register of Historic Places. The District 34 schoolhouse opened for class in 1912 to about ten pupils. The last class of students was held in 1943.

The Wither Cabin, built in the 1800s, is accepted as the senior dwelling in Hahns Peak Village. In 2008, the Wither family donated the cabin to the Hahns Peak Area Historical Society who moved the structure across the street from the schoolhouse and restored it.

The Hahns Peak Museum was built by the Hahns Peak Area Historical Society through donations and a grant. It houses many mining and personal living artifacts from the Hahns Peak area. The Bear Cage Jail, located at the back of the museum, was part of the original courthouse in Hahns Peak when it served as the county seat of Routt County.

The Pole Barn houses many mining relics from the area. Interpretive displays at the building give visitors a step back into time when Hahns Peak was a thriving gold mining camp.

All four buildings, and our gift shop which is located in the Museum, are open daily to the public during the summer season, Memorial Day to Labor Day, at no charge from 12:00 to 4:00 p.m., weather permitting. A self guided walking tour map of the historic buildings in Hahns Peak Village is available at the museum.

Directions to Hahns Peak Area

From Steamboat Springs, Colorado

Go west two miles on U.S. 40 to County Road 129 (also called Elk River Road). Turn north and drive 24 miles. The School House and Museum is on the right-hand side of the road. You can’t miss us!

Copyright © 2019 Hahns Peak Historical Society. All Rights Reserved. Made with ♥ by some geeks in Texas.